February 17, 2020 at 1:06 pm #10339
Emily Hendershot @EmilyHendershot
Journals Manager/Editorial Assistant
This position is 60 percent journal management, 40 percent writing (content creation), editing, and proofreading. It is a career position with opportunities for mentorship and training toward the goal of advancement within the department and the organization. Those who are interested in a long-term career in association management are encouraged to apply.
Journal Management Responsibilities
Serves as the primary manager, staff liaison, and key contact for the Society’s two peer-reviewed journals. The journal manager acts as a dependable resource to and works closely with the publishing representative and production team, the peer review coordinator and assistant, the journal editors-in-chief and editorial boards, and the SAEM communications team. This position is responsible for overseeing the daily administrative duties of the journals and ensuring the smooth, on-time execution of ongoing editorial activity, peer-review management functions, production operations, and marketing/promotional efforts for both journals.
• Works with the publisher marketing team, journal social media editors, and staff to develop and implement journal marketing and author promotion/recognition campaigns and other initiatives with the goal of increasing journal submissions, editorial recognition, and impact
• Partners with peer review coordinators and editors-in-chief to create each issue lineup
• Oversees/manages the scheduling and production of special journal supplements
• Sends invitations, reminders, and agendas for editorial board teleconference calls; prepares presentation materials and posts meeting minutes, as requested
• Plans and coordinates in-person editorial board meetings and retreats, publisher meetings, luncheons, workshops, and, when called upon, any special events
• Works with the editors-in-chief to update author instructions
• Coordinates the content, publishing, and distribution of the Editor-in-Chief Pick summary e-blasts
• Works with journal podcasters to ensure that journal podcasts are created and posted in a timely manner
• Works with infographics creator to ensure that “Paper-in-a-Pics” are created according to the published schedule and promoted in a timely manner
• Works with the SAEM digital marketing specialist to coordinate the PDF distribution of each journal issue
• Ensures that journal web pages are kept up-to-date
• Acquires cover images for each issue
• Coordinates CME questions
• Provides journal reports/metrics from the publisher and peer review coordinator to the SAEM Board of Directors on a regular basis
Writing, Editing, Proofreading Responsibilities
Provides editorial support, including proofreading, copyediting, and writing assistance, to the SAEM Communications Department. Reports to the SAEM Director of Communications and serves as a pivotal member of the SAEM communications team which also includes a digital marketing and communications coordinator who manages the Society’s website and social media platforms.
• Assists with content creation, copyediting, and proofreading for the Society’s weekly e-newsletter.
• Assists with proofreading and copyediting articles and other content submitted for publication in SAEM Pulse, the Society’s bimonthly member publication
• Assists with content creation, copyediting, and proofreading for other SAEM content (social media, website, e-mail marketing, membership communications, press releases), as necessary.
• Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications, or a relevant discipline
• Minimum three years of experience in professional editing and proofreading
• Two or more years of experience working in an administrative or management position, preferably for a nonprofit organization
• Firm command of written English and proven outstanding writing skills
• Impeccable proofreading and editorial skills with high levels of precision and respect for grammar, punctuation, spelling, composition, and style.
• Expertise in in-line editing and proofreading and experience applying well-known style guidelines (Chicago Manual of Style and/or Associated Press (AP) Style preferred)
• Proficiency with Google Drive and Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Microsoft Word, Outlook)
• Strong organizational, time, and project management skills
• Comfort with managing overlapping production deadlines in a fast-paced environment, including the flexibility and ability to adapt to and manage a rapidly changing situation
• A reputation for trustworthiness, good judgment, and maturity, with a high degree of emotional intelligence
• Strong interpersonal skills and an enthusiastic collaborator who can work with and learn from a wide variety of personalities.
The Society for Academic Emergency Medicine offers an excellent work environment, opportunities for professional development and advancement, a competitive salary, and a comprehensive benefits package, including an attractive health insurance program, and generous 401(k) contribution.
How to Apply
To apply please send a cover letter, resume, and 1-2 writing samples via e-mail to email@example.com, subject line: “Journals Manager/Editorial Assistant.” Please note applications submitted without a cover letter, resume/CV, writing sample, may not be considered. Interviews (phone and in person) will commence as soon as possible.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.